Canoists - can we moan about them?

Chris J W

Featured Posts

I'm lazy I usually hire Lapwing from NBYCO

http://www.norfolk-broads.com/cgi-bin/boat...l?boatname=lapw

I've hired quite a few other Broads yachts, though oddly never from NBYCo (though my parents hired from them and had good experiences). In my experience the Hunter's yachts aren't that much harder work if you sail them as they would have been sailed when they were built - going with wind and tide where possible. The lack of an engine (not to mention batteries or water/waste tanks) makes them very light, responsive and easy to sail. Also if you get the right technique quanting isn't much harder than walking, certainly less effort than poling or bow-hauling even a small narrowboat or cruiser.

I've hired from hunters too. and agree they sail extremely well.

I'm still toying with the idea of buying one of the bigger ex hire yachts and keeping her on the soar.

Excellent idea! Just look at the acreage of water you will have to play on during the next round of flooding!!

I think we already pretty much come to the conclusion 'slow, steady and let them sort themselves' but this seems to me to be a matter of right of way.

Small vessels must give to larger vessels especially when they are restricted.

I don't have any experience on the canals but this is similar to the rules governing my backyard aka Hampton Roads. The large shipping vessels and the odd aircraft carrier are restricted to the lanes by their draught, the fiberglass and wood sailboats and powerboats that like to take to the estuary have to give way (and why wouldn't they seeing that bow wave bearing down on them). It is absolutely ridiculous to expect the larger vessel to move or be cautious. If a 40' Yawl gets plowed under by a 320000 tonner, I'd ask why the 40' boat was there before I'd question why the tanker didn't turn.

We all have a right to be on the water.

The control of canoes varies depending on the attitude/experience of the instructor.

Like people on forums, some are muppets.

Most instructors will shepherd the group to the side and let the narrowboat pass, to ensure the safety

of his group, which has already been said, he has a duty of care for.

Many of these kids are the future users of our canals.